Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One More Transportation Story


I often leave school late at night. Metro is my ride home. Trains don't come very frequently late at night, and after a long day sitting at school, I often pace the platform while I wait for the train. One night last semester I arrived at the Metro in somewhat of a daze. I was exhausted, I had been studying all day, and I just needed to get to bed. So I slowly paced the platform.

At one end of the platform I noticed large cables at the entrance to the tunnel. I checked the other tunnel and noticed the same large cables in an identical formation. This was interesting to me as I stared in my daze. After a minute I realized that a voice was speaking over the intercom. I eventually realized that the voice was the woman in the security booth and that she was speaking to me.

Now, the security booth is at the entrance, which is not near me. I have descended the escalators from the entrance and walked the length of the platform to the very end. If I were to speak to the woman, she would need to exit her booth and I would need to yell so that she could hear me. So I realized she was speaking to me. She kept saying (read in your best ghetto voice), "Sir, whaddya doin at the enduh the platform?!" Notice that this is not a request to remove myself or a general safety announcement; it is a question. How was I supposed to respond? Should I yell back at her? Should I go back up there and tell her I was waiting for the stinking train to come? I was confused. I turned and looked up in her direction (I couldn't actually see her). I took a step or two toward the center of the length of the platform.

About a minute later, the same woman came over the speaker and told me to step away from the edge of the platform. The message definitely was directed only to me. I angrily stepped back a little. I really wanted them to leave me alone. I never entered any restricted area, and I was perfectly fine where I was originally, and I had already moved once for the faceless speaker. Then a final announcement said that since there were only 4 to 6 car trains at this time of night, everyone should move to the center of the platform to facilitate loading. I resumed my pacing.

Apparently studying all day makes me look like a terrorist or a suicidal maniac. My consolation is that I was important enough to have 3 personal announcements over the intercom in the Metro. Thank you, over-zealous security guard, for keeping Metro safe from me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... you did kinda look like a terrorist when you got home... I'm just saying.

Paul said...

This sounds like the beginning to a good Indy film. Keep it going...

Jenny said...

According to Wikipedia symptoms of schizophrenia include auditory hallucinations, delusions and affective flattening i.e. "staring into a daze". I just thought I'd add to possible explanations for this "women's" behavior.

taylor and laney said...

i think you kind of look like osama bin laden.

Kent and Leisy said...

you should have jumped onto the tracks. can you imagine what the woman would have said to you then?

Manda said...

Hi Joe, this is actually Crystal.

This story is hilarious! Thanks for a great laugh! You're really a fantastic writer. You made us feel like we were right there in the Metro experiencing it with you. Amanda, Vanessa, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.