Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Time When I Almost Burned Barber Brothers Ford to the Ground


Writing about my heart full of hate on Valentine's Day might not be the best decision, but I'm not a real blogger (still deciding whether I want to keep doing this), and I've never been so poorly treated by anyone or anything. I determined today to never buy another Ford vehicle in my life and to do my best to persuade my loved ones and anyone else to avoid helping Ford in any way. I have had sincere thoughts of egging Barber Bros., but how would I chuck the eggs from Maryland? Recounting the entire experience is too painful and convoluted to list here, but the experiences include being hung up on. Which is the worst. I've always hated that about as much as soggy bread and wet socks. When I asked what I had done to be treated so poorly, the little girl in Utah on the other end of the line exasperatedly said that I wasn't understanding the situation and that I was trying not to. Which is ridiculous, of course. She didn't seem to understand that the problem was that Barber Brothers Ford didn't think it needed to comply with federal and Utah state law by signing the title and writing in the odometer disclosure. I spoke with the manager after the little girl hung up on me and he said that they were doing me thousands of dollars worth of free service and going above and beyond the call of duty. But really, all I needed was a stinking signature and five numbers written down on a piece of paper, in the normal course of their business. That is not thousands of dollars worth of work, and it certainly isn't a mere favor to me - federal and state law require it. You might think that I know that because I'm a law student and I'm anal about things like that, but you'd be wrong; the title itself states that it is the duty of the owner to write in the odometer disclosure. You'd think that Barber Brothers would know that since they are in the business of selling cars, but even if my title was the first one they had ever seen, they could have just read the two lines that say they have to. Okay, I'm not done ranting, but I'll be done ranting through this medium. Jerks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Soggy bread.

Oh, and I'm taking your advice-- down with Ford. I've heard a few extra details of the ordeal (not that I needed any more) and wholeheartedly hate Ford. I kicked one on the way to school this morning. It will be difficult for me to even ride in your truck.

Joseph said...

well then, don't bother. You can move your sofabed and your tank of a bookcase somehow else.

Keep up the kicks.

Camie said...

I would call them something nasty, but this is your blog and I know you don't approve of my swearing.

taylor and laney said...

i love you joe!!! I think you should keep up your blog. there is no one in the world I would rather hear complain than you or leisy. no one does it better than the optipessimist.

Kent and Leisy said...

you crazy crazy banshee. I'm so excited that you found me!

Lynnie said...

Crazy.

taylor and laney said...

i would like to see a new post.